Dedication

Dedicated to Intensive Care nurses everywhere

Monday, October 19, 2015

A Day in the LIfe - Rehab by the Numbers - Part six

Continues...








Carolie could not stand by herself.  Her muscle wasting was such that she required an overhead support harness to walk on a treadmill.  With support she could stand for a moment to transfer to a wheelchair or to a toilet. Her immobility left her vulnerable to falls.  She had gone from an active professional woman to a mostly helpless chair bound invalid in the space of two months.   

Toileting remained a dangerous activity.  She fell off the toilet a couple more times while nurses left her unsupervised.  When someone with brain trauma falls it can be life threatening. There were many junior nurses on the ward who meant well, but who lacked the experience necessary to manage brain trauma patients without close supervision.  I had to complain to senior nurses to ensure supervision protocols were strictly observed during trips to the bathroom. 

The wonderful School of Music friends followed us to the ward.  Their singing efforts went unremarked initially by management but soon attracted the attention of one of the senior nurses, who complained they were too loud.  She had a patient who suffered from severe headache, but I question whether the complaint came from her.  I doubt her extremely debilitating condition would have been affected by beautiful singing.  I suspect it was another iteration of the ‘command and control’ approach that pervaded management of the ward.   

After a minor run in between our friends and this nurse we decided to limit the singing to the gym.  The senior physiotherapist was welcoming as music was played during gym sessions.  The extra stimulus of high quality live singing was a bonus.  The majority of patients responded positively to the singing, such that it became a regular fixture in late afternoon sessions in the gym.   

After one such singing session on a Sunday afternoon in the ward room - prior to the singers limiting their sessions to the gym (and outside on weekends) - our friends left Carolie sitting up in her wheelchair.  She would be uplifted by joining the singing and occasionally forget her physical limitations.  Just as some visiting children from her school and their parents were taking their leave she suddenly stood up in a farewell reflex.  She fell heavily to one side, bruising herself badly.   

On receiving a call from the ward I immediately drove anxiously to the hospital. On arrival a senior nurse proceeded to berate me about the singers leaving her unattended, despite this not being their concern as the visiting family had arrived.  I defended our friends stoutly and subsequently discovered it was the visiting family that triggered the accident.  Again, they would have no reason to assume any risk.  The nurse made it clear ‘the situation’ could not continue and that change would be made.  It was unclear what this meant but did not bode well to my ears – it was a portent of more ‘command and control’.  We did not have to wait long.




During a luncheon period I went to fetch something from Carolie’s room.  She remained in the dining room.  I was surprised to find unknown persons standing by the bed and her personal effects removed.  It quickly became apparent that Carolie had been moved without notice.  She was now accommodated in a room adjacent to the nurses’ station.  Her beautiful view on to flowers was gone; the room had damaged blinds so sunlight heat could not be managed as easily; it was noisier as immediately outside the room was an administrative area; and worst of all, Carolie had not been informed of the change.  

Nurse management had decided that Carolie needed to be closer to the station in case of further falls.  It was instructive that nurses continued to leave her unsupervised on the toilet.  For the second time on our labyrinthine journey I lost my temper.
 

Arcing with anger I returned to the dining room and made it very clear that I wanted to transfer Carolie to another facility.  After our treatment to this juncture by ward management I saw this as a bridge too far.  The place seemed mired in a time when patients were totally disempowered and subject to the whim of fierce nursing sisters.  Many a motion picture has focussed on the theme.  Flashes of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest kept 'gingering' my sense of this ward culture.  I refused to be bound by the ‘givens’ in this particular time warp.  This time I did the berating, reducing the same senior nurse to tears in the process. 

The nurse was fairly tough but maybe unused to having to deal with someone articulate and determined, who had dealt with much tougher souls, and who was as angry as I was.  On cue, after a little dust had settled, the ward boss reappeared to again put me in my place and upbraid me for ‘abusing’ her staff.  She agreed the shift manager had done the wrong thing by not consulting with us but that did not excuse my treatment of her staff member.  





I indicated to her that the conversation was pointless as she was about ‘command and control’ and nothing I could say would change that.  I defended the accusation of ‘abuse’, replying that although I was truly angry I had not used any terms of abuse, which was true.   She tried to twist my evident anger into a ‘personal problem’ - perhaps I needed counselling.  No, what we needed was to be treated with respect and not disempowered.  My ‘Red Queen’ alert was screeching:

          ‘Speak when you’re spoken to!’ the Red Queen sharply interrupted her.
            ‘But if everybody obeyed that rule’, said Alice, who was always ready for a little argument, ‘and if you only spoke when you were spoken to, and the other person always waited for you to begin, you see nobody would ever say anything, so that—‘
            ‘Ridiculous!’ cried the Queen.*
To be continued....

* Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, The Folio Society, London, 1962, p. 109



No comments:

Post a Comment