Dedication

Dedicated to Intensive Care nurses everywhere

Monday, November 23, 2015

A day in the LIfe - Rehab by the Numbers - Part ten

Continues...








With more discernible improvements the opportunity arose for ‘day leave’ and, eventually, ‘weekend leave’.  This was an exciting if somewhat daunting prospect.  We had to pass a ‘car management’ exercise to gain approval for leave.  I was reminded to an extent of boarding school strictures around personal leave.  All in all, it was worth a sense of disempowerment around leave protocols to get Carolie out of the place.   

I was reminded of limited release afforded prisoners as they approach the end of a jail sentence.  We took advantage of this immediately it was offered.  After demonstrating to a ward physiotherapist the correct technique for managing a wheelchair transfer via car we were able to have our first outing at a lunch with some old friends visiting from Sydney.  The sense of freedom for Carolie was palpable.  She coped remarkably well with her new chariot, and greatly enjoyed a lunch with friends.  The little things of life become hugely significant when your are denied them.





Carolie:  
Gradually I was becoming more and more confident and adept at using my upper limbs.  Soon I discovered that some of my fellow patients were visiting the hospital’s cafeteria, called “The ‘Hoz’” I mentioned this to Mark and we discussed the possibility of going so that I could have a more varied diet.  One day Mark came with a wonderful surprise, we were going out for lunch to “’The Hoz’”. What pure joy to have fish and chips to eat, at last!  It was so delicious. I enjoyed being surrounded by normal people in the cafeteria setting.   

During this time Mark was given lessons by the occupational therapists in dismantling the wheel chair so that it could be put into the car. I went with them out to the side walk outside the hospital, not far from the ward.  I had to stand and then slide into the car seat by putting my right leg out first. I managed this successfully, the first time I tried.  

Once we had achieved success, I was ready for going out. At one time some dear friends came to Canberra and discussed going out to lunch. I chose the Hyatt Hotel as a favourite spot.  I knew that it had wheel chair access, through the back entrance. So a date was agreed and Mark picked me up. We managed the wheel chair without any difficulty and I was thrilled to be out, especially in the elegant art deco environment of Canberra’s Hyatt Hotel. It was a delightful meal and such a treat for me to be out of the hospital, socializing with Mark and dear friends.



To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment